Saturday, March 17, 2007

Finding Your Passion


Are you passionate about what you do? Are there times when you feel that the passion has gone and you are simply going through the motions?

I am sure that all of us have experienced plenty of times, both in work and in our everyday lives, where we have simply buzzed about what we are doing and others where we don't know why we are there. I certainly have.

On the Thursday of the week after I left my last position I was in a friend's pub. I had been with the company for nearly eight years and for most of the time had considered myself so lucky with my choice of career, I was doing something I loved.

In the pub I was cheekily berating my friend for not inviting me to play golf with him that day. I commented to him that 'I can play golf during the week now' as my time was my own. I suddenly realised that there had been no reason why I couldn't do so before. I was Managing Director of the organisation and was in full control of my diary. I worked evenings and weekend, there was no such thing as a typical 9-5 Monday to Friday working week for me.

At that moment it all came home to me. My business had ceased to be a passion and had become a JOB!!!

I am a great believer that you have to enjoy what you do for a living. After all, we spend most of our waking hours working. I am working harder than ever before now ... and loving every minute of it.

Jo Parfitt, who edited my first book and was one of the editors of my second, has just published the second edition of her popular 'Find Your Passion' book. Containing tips and tasks to help you find your passion, it also contains interviews with several people discussing the passion in their lives. One of the interviewees is me, so if you want to find out how to find your passion, or just what makes me tick, check out the book at http://www.bookshaker.com/product_info.php?ref=125&products_id=187.

No comments:

Post a Comment