Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Networked Out?

It feels as though I am in the middle of a networking marathon at the moment. Ten events in seven working days just feels like networking overkill, even for me.

I didn't plan it that way, and I certainly wouldn't recommend this level of networking activity to anyone. Although I am making some fantastic new connections and new opportunities are opening up for me on a daily basis, I am struggling to find the time to follow up with my contacts, arrange meetings with people I have just met and keep up with emails, paperwork and this blog.

The fact is, you can simply overnetwork. There are so many opportunities to get out and meet new people you have to be selective and pick the right ones for you. And learn to say 'no'.

I am learning, I promise! I have said no to three events already this week. And that's lucky as they would probably have tipped me over the edge. As I write this blog alone, I could be sitting in two different breakfast meetings!

So the lesson? Be selective, be patient (if you can't go this month, you can always attend next time) and if you do go to a lot of events, make sure that you enjoy them. That way, at least you can keep your sanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment